Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Nostalgia is Expensive

For years I've been half-assedly looking for a copy of this book:

It's the first book I ever got out of the library (the Pocatello, Idaho, public library) with my own library card. And it has what struck me, at the time, as a truly creative and hilarious plot -- Mr. Egbert Nosh goes for a walk one day and his house (and possibly his garage) get lonely, so they follow him. Reading it might have caused my first experience of professional envy.

For years I couldn't find any evidence that it so much as existed, and I wondered if I'd remembered the title wrong. But when I checked abebooks.com recently, there it was, several copies in fact. But the cheapest was $150, for an ex-library (Pocatello, maybe?) one.

I don't get it. Does it have a secret cult following, or what?

Abebooks, for those of you who haven't tried it, is incredible. I don't think I've ever failed to find a book on it, and the little book stores that contribute to it ship quickly and without fuss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the site. I remember the first book I borrowed from a friend, must be 20 years ago now, and I can see it, and would know the story, but as for author and book name, just drawing a blank. I do remember a cow and a fat man.