Wednesday, October 20, 2010

iambik.com

Okay, I admit it, this constitutes self-promotion.  But I'm quite excited about it.  Today, iambik.com went live.  They sell audiobooks.  For five dollars.  The first wave of offerings includes me, Lydia Millet, Gordon Lish, and the ridiculously brilliant Lynne Tillman.

From the site: "Iambik makes audio of books we love.  Iambik is a bit different from traditional audiobook publishers, though. We partner with print publishers and authors, and work with a collective of skilled independent audiobook makers around the world. We record new books and old ones, great books that have been overlooked by traditional audio publishers.  We work almost exclusively on a revenue-share basis, with narrators, publishers/authors, and iambik all sharing in successful audiobooks.  Our prices are low. We don’t have any digital rights management (DRM)."

Doesn't this just make you want to weep with gratitude?  This seems to me a superb business model for literary fiction, and if you agree, head on over there and buy some stuff.  Like, you know, for instance Castle.

7 comments:

zoe said...

What an excellent idea. Normally I can't really spend the money on audio books, but I'll deffo get a few of these. Would have liked you to be reading it though.

Anonymous said...

I might have done it if they'd asked...but not for free...

I think the guy they hired did a fine job, though. That said, I haven't listened to more than a few minutes yet.

zoe said...

I haven't given the guy a chance yet - I'm sure he's great. I just like to hear writers read their own work (If they read well).

But $4.99 - excellent. I'm happy to take a punt on any of the other titles too.

AltSung said...

The reader is excellent! I just got myself a copy. I've been hoping to get somebody to do my book, so I'm gonna ask if they might be interested. Thanks for posting this, John.

Unknown said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I very much love what you're creating here!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!