Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Universe is Going to Give Me a Letterpress

Boy, do I want my own letterpress.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That's pretty much all I have to say tonight. People are doing incredible stuff with letterpress these days, and I'm jealous as hell. A few years ago I tried taking a class at the Wells Book Arts Center but my timing was bad -- I almost immediately got pregnant and couldn't stand the smell of the solvents or the long drive up the lake.

Holy moly: this site actually sells fonts! Shoot, who needs links; the internets is lousy with beautiful pictures of small press work.

It seems to me that hand-printing is the perfect marriage of craftiness and bookishness. At the bookstore recently I thumbed through a copy of The Secret and discovered that all I have to do if I want my own letterpress is think hard about getting one, and the universe will send one to me, stat.

That, I can do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to a poetry fair recently where one guy was selling amazingly beuatiful chapbooks that he'd made on a letterpress and handstitched. I immediately went home and started looking at presses on ebay. Too pricey! I will also start wishing...

Meredith Ramirez said...

that's funny... i'm actually doing a letterpress project as a commission from my reunion committee since i have this college reunion coming up... i'll show you how it turns out.

Meredith Ramirez said...

oops... this is one of john's grad students... i think we met briefly once but i somehow misread and thought he wrote this post. :)