Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Christopher Higgs on experimental literature

I wanted to take a moment to link to this impressive series of posts by Christopher Higgs on "experimental literature" on my current favorite litblog, HTMLGiant.  I especially like the last one, on the notion of blankness--something I've been obsessed with myself from time to time.

This is the kind of thing I think a blog is good for, but it's also the kind of topic I tend to run like hell from, as I do not have the kind of brain made for defining and categorizing.  (Case in point, the bit where Higgs makes a distinction between conceptual and experimental literature.)  In general I am too aware of, perhaps too fond of, the tendency of distinctions to blur and categories to bleed; I admit the usefulness of holding them in mind, but never seem to be able to do so myself.

Anyway, these are rigorous and interesting posts, well-illustrated and interestingly commented upon.  Give them a look.

4 comments:

Dylan Hicks said...

I found those over the weekend and enjoyed them as well.

christopher higgs said...

Thank you for the kind words and for linking to my posts. Much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

My pleasure, nice work!

Professor Benz said...

Thanks, JRL -- I'm really digging this so far! This is when I actually enjoy me some literary criticism/philosophy/etc because it articulates something I've been ruminating on but haven't been able to come up with a satisfactory (or eloquent)examination.